Here are a few tips for buying a dress for work
1. Length- I still follow the rule I learned in elementary school, "skirts no shorter than one inch above your knee". However, depending on your workplace and height, I'd say 1-2 inches above the knee is safe!
2. The Fit- make sure the dress isn't too fitted, try and stay away from cotton-stretch material. Some great material is silk or polyester blends.
3. Sleeves- stay away from sleeveless dresses, unless you plan on wearing a cardigan or blazer, a cap sleeve or some marital around the sleeve are good option.
4. Versatility- find a dress that you can wear with a blazer or cardigan. You'll get bored quickly if you're always wearing the same dress the same way at work.
5. Color/Pattern- this goes along with versatility, invest in a dress that can be worn to several different events. I'd wear this dress to church, graduation event, or a dinner out. You can do this by buying a solid color dress or a dress with subtle pattern.